I did it. I ran in my very first race ever last Saturday. The 5k run was in support of the Injured Marine program and all entry fees were donated to the cause. (http://www.semperfifund.org/) The race took place on base and I have to admit that I was a bit nervous upon arrival.
Being that I have never participated in a race outside of the type where a chalk line is drawn on a blacktop and one kid yells very loudly “1, 2, 3,GO” while the rest of the kids are within sight at the “FINISH” line, this was a whole new world for me. I actually was given a bib and a #. (# 281) This was a fairly small race so I have been told and so the festivities were kept to a minimum. There was a tent of food and such, which if my stomach had not been full of butterflies I may have sampled a few of the goodies.
As everyone began to gather at the starting area, David and I decided to get somewhat near the middle. After all this was a “Fun Run”, (oxymoron) which meant that those with strollers and dogs had to get in the back. David and I were side by side in the pack for all of about one minute, but I had told him to go ahead and try to get his best time instead of tripping over his feet to run at my pace. I lost sight of him quickly and was left with the 5k tune list I created and for the first time ever running with many other people around me.
I started out quite strong, in fact perhaps too strong. I do not know if it was adrenaline or pure fear that I would be the last runner across the finish line, but I jetted out of the starting gate. This fast pace did not last the entire race as I shortly began to need one thing more than anything else…AIR! Who did I think I was Flo-Jo? I slowed up a bit and found my usual pace and felt pretty good…that was until I saw the runners passing me. Passing me in the opposite direction!!
There were people running back towards the start (now the finish line) and I was still heading towards the turn around. I am convinced that one of the runners was part human and part gazelle. I have seriously never seen a human being move that quickly not mention the length and skinniness of his legs. I would have asked him for a ride, but he was a mere flash and then gone.
I reached the turn around and headed back towards the finish line. It was a bit strange to run with so many others, but it was also motivating. There were fathers running with their kids in strollers or right there next to them. The father would encourage their son or daughter every so often and the child would look up at their Dad and smile. There were whole families running together. I was particularly moved by the couple that had on matching T-shirts with what I presume was their son’s name and the words “our fallen hero” on it.
David met me as I approached the finish line. He of course was well rested as he had arrived well ahead of me. I crossed the finish line at 37:42 and the course was 3.1 miles. I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed by this because I was hoping for 36 minutes. I think starting a bit too fast kind of hurt me over all because it took me some time to recover. That was a good lesson to learn, as I am sure it will help me on the big day.
I completed a training run today---3 miles—36 minutes. It seems that I just cannot shake the 12-minute mile. Actually, the first mile is always 11 minutes and then I slow down as I continue. I would love to get a consistent 10-11 minute mile before this is all said and done. I am listening to podcasts now and that will be the topic of my next entry.
Quote for week 16: The principle is competing against yourself. It's about self-improvement, about being better than you were the day before.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Nanci - Your 5 K was just like mine! My third mile was TWICE the time of my second mile! :) Good to get that experience, though, because could you imagine if you started too fast for a marathon? Yikes! Excellent job! Sounds like a fun race! Don't worry about a minute or two. When you're doing 26 of them, keep in mind - the goal is to finish! :)
5K?! Are you crazy? Oh, no...I forgot, you're a RUNNER now!!! Don't beat yourself up over time! I totally agree that the fact that you pushed yourself to do it and finish (with a decent time to boot) is truly a testament to what we can do when we are determined. The amazing thing about you, though, is that you are determined about something that you claim was not your cup of tea and have now turned it into a Nanci trait. Oh, Nanci? Yeah, I know her...she's runs around our neighborhood all the time. Nanci? Yeah, isn't she the one running the marathon? Rock on! (Rather, run on!)
Way to go Nanci! I am so proud of you. I say there's nothing wrong with a 12 minutes mile. Heck, think of how many people can't or never will run 3.1 miles or even 1 for that matter! Remember Jude's word's of wisdom. "Slow and steady wins the race Mom!"
I must say my one and only 5K was a real thrill although I cursed the entire way through. The 10K was even more empowering. Just imagine how the Marathon will be.
Way to go!
Post a Comment