I have officially made it to 16 weeks until game day. I am terrified and excited all at the same time. The schedule for the week is not that bad at all. (Did I actually type those words?) However, it is true that relative to the future and to what I have previously accomplished the demands of Week 16 are not that bad.
3miles (completed Monday)
4miles (completed today--Wednesday)
3miles (scheduled for Friday)
5 miles (long run for the week on Sunday)
Many of my readers have asked me if I take walking breaks. The answer is yes and no. I always try to run without stopping for the first 30 minutes of any training run. (the shorter runs during the week) Please remember that my pace is exceptionally slow so please hold your applause. As per the advice of the great marathon runner and trainer Jeff Galloway---I take walk breaks as needed during my long runs. I try to keep them short (1-2 minutes) and then get back to running. Now, this has changed from the beginning when I did much more walking during all runs. I have seen progress and that keeps me motivated to keep running.
As you know, I am following the schedule in The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer and Week 16 marks the beginning of the true marathon training. Prior to this point, I apparently have been getting ready for the REAL training. The key to week one is positive thinking as I mentioned in a previous entry. I have been trying to take that advice and it does seem to be working.
What keeps me running? Well, in all honesty this blog really does keep me honest. Going public with this challenge was the best decision because it forces accountability. So, thank you for your help! See you did not even know that by simply reading the blog, leaving comments, sending encouraging emails, or asking me about my progress that you were taking part in the marathon challenge! Many days I think I am crazy for even trying to do this, but then I remind myself that others are reading and waiting to see what the next run will bring. I must not disappoint!
A dear friend recently told me that every time I call myself a non-runner that she wants to scream. She is in fact very much a runner and has been supportive of my endeavor from the moment I announced it. She claims that by now I have earned the title of runner. That is quite a compliment coming from a true runner. However, I cannot let go of the title of non-runner just yet, but perhaps I will reconsider that notion in just 16 short weeks.
Quote for WEEK 16: "Continuous effort -- not strength or intelligence -- is the key to unlocking our potential."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I still refer to myself as a non-runner as well. Should I continue running after this marathon and adopt it into my regular workouts, I will truly be a runner. Until then, though - I'm sticking to non-runner. Wow - I need to look into a different training schedule. Mine's up to 11 this week, although I'm doing 13 (I can't believe I'm opting to do more) because I was going to do a half marathon this weekend but never got around to signing up. Is that a bad sign? :) Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment