Monday, February 18, 2008

Gotta Run

I have nearly completed 2 months of training and two words have rolled off my tongue more than any other words for the past 8 weeks --- “Gotta Run.” Some other forms may have included the following: I need to go for a run, I have to get up early to run, when will you be home so I can run, I need one more run this week, I gotta run so I can go for a run…you get the picture. If someone told me that this would be the case at some point in my life, I would have laughed at the idea. I probably would have kindly reminded them that I am not a runner and that I believe that the only valid reason to run is when being chased.

However, today I find myself actually adding up the miles that I have run (without anyone chasing me) during my first two months of training. My grand total was 58.2 miles. (I am hoping that the .2 is a sign of what my future holds on race day.) I did have to take one week off to rest my injured ankle so the total could have been a bit higher. I am also not including the “miles” that I completed on the elliptical machine on my scheduled cross training days. I wanted to know exactly how many miles I have run on my own two feet.

This weekend I completed two more runs and I headed to the running shoe store for a new pair of kicks. Oh, and the name of the store, yes you guessed it Gotta Run. I had no idea where one of these stores dedicated to all things running were located, but was pleasantly surprised to find out that one was in nearby Annapolis. We packed up the family and headed to boat town.
I have been running in a decent pair of shoes, but as a form of motivation, I promised myself that I would get a pair of shoes fitted just for me once I hit training week 8. (and the 4 mile mark) Upon arrival, I found myself feeling quite nervous and actually somewhat queasy. Being the non-runner that I am I stood looking at the endless wall of running shoes and I felt totally out of place. I tried to think of something very cool to say such as “I was hoping to find a pair of shoes that would help with my overpronation.” or perhaps “I need a shoe that provides extra stability.” I was not sure that this was the case, but I read about it in my books and it sounded good. Well, all I was able to get out was “I need a shoe.”

I guess that was all I needed to say because the friendly sales guy jumped into action. He asked me to take off my socks and he took a look at my feet. Then he asked me to walk back and forth a couple of times down the length of the store. All the while, he was crouched down staring at my feet and watching the way my feet work. He brought out a bunch of shoes and then he asked me to try each pair on and run back and forth and back and forth while he examined my form. Finally, he made a couple of recommendations and identified me as an overpronator. Who knew? He suggested two pairs of shoes for me. I might add that the pairs he felt were the best were not all that easy on the fashion barometer. In other words, I was about to throw down some money for a pair of shoes that I found for lack of a better term UGLY!!!!!!!

I knew that the extra support would help me with my over pronation, but it sure made the shoe look unusual from the side to say the least. Did I mention that they have Lime Green as the accent color? I reminded myself that injury prevention has little to do with fashion statements. I took one more look down at the shoes in question and back at the beloved Nikes that had brought me to this point and I told him “I’ll take them.”

He asked me if I needed anything else and so I decided that I would browse a bit before making the final purchase. I grabbed a runner’s hat and two pairs of running socks. I do love accessories and if nothing else running does provide an outlet and excuse to buy accessories. I paid for my new running gear collected my family and I considered my mission accomplished. I came, I bought, I left with new (ugly) running shoes. (and needed accessories)

David asked me what I thought of my new shoes and I told him that I would not really know until I get out on the road. He could tell that my enthusiasm just was not there for these new shoes. He tried to comfort me by saying that they only kind of look like special corrective shoes. In addition, he said in just a few months I would get to buy a new pair anyway. That idea put a smile on my face and I decided all I can do for now is try to wear out my shoes.
I went for a run in them on Sunday and I think it is going to take some time to get used to the fit as well as the visual show they offer. I will keep you updated on how my green machines are working out for me. Tomorrow morning is another test run.

Quote for Week 8:
It’s not easy being green. (even if it is just an accent color)

2 comments:

Liz Gill said...

Nanci - You can make even the Green Machines look cool, so don't sweat it! I agree with you - if nothing else, the accessories are worth it! I am quite excited to begin purchasing said accessories during month 5. Given my history of not accomplishing goals, I have made myself wait a little longer (except for injury preventing footwear - very important!). Keep up the awesomeness!

MikMalMom said...

Hi Nanci
Perhaps you remember me from Liz & Greg's wedding... :) I just wanted to tell you how proud of you I am. You and Lizzie are both doing amazingly well. I wish you the best of luck. As for the green shoes, well, not much anyone can do about that. Just keep running and know you can get another pair (hopefully prettier pair) soon. Take care!