Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Heart Day

I have completed two more runs since I last wrote and my ankle seems to be pretty much back to normal. My feet are always sore, but from what I have been reading that seems to be part of the training. I notice the soreness (most of the time) when I first get up and put the ole’ feet to the carpet for the day. I cannot say the aches are only in my feet though, I am sore from head to foot most days. I find it comforting to know that such aches and pains are what true runners deal with and not solely due to my previous non-running lifestyle. (I am sure that it did not help any either.)

I was able to run Tuesday morning and again today (Thursday). Now that my ankle is on the mend, I am pushing forward to adding time and mileage. It is hard for me to believe that Week 7 started yesterday. Most of the schedules I peruse are for a mere 20 weeks for beginners all the way to lifetime runners. I on the other hand have 42 weeks, which by anyone's standards is more than enough time. Speaking of schedules, I have been logging away my miles per month and will provide a grand total for my first 8 weeks of training next week! This week I will rest on tomorrow :-) and run both weekend days. I have a 4-mile route ready for a visit from my Nikes.

Being that it is Valentine’s Day I would be remiss if I did not mention my Valentine. The very idea for this marathon challenge/invitation began with David. You see, he is the runner and I am the non-runner and that is just the way things have always been in our relationship. It may have taken him just over 13 years to convince me, but I now hit the pavement too. I tell him nearly everyday how surprised I am that I am able to complete the runs. He simply says, “It isn’t about ability it is about desire. I have always known you had the ability.” His encouragement and unwavering belief in my ability to accomplish my goal gets me through every run.

I see now that his query back in October was indeed an invitation and not just a challenge. (as I believed it to be last October when he first mentioned the word marathon to me) It was an invitation into the world of a runner. I am slowly learning the benefits of this new world and as I check off each training day I am gladly accepting the invitation and looking forward to the challenge.


Quote for Week 7:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.

2 comments:

Liz Gill said...

Nanci - Cheers to our Valentine's! Greg is so encouraging and has an unwaivering belief in me! It totally keeps me going, too!

Lori said...

Good for you!! Sometimes I think that God allows things to come to me as challenges because He knows I can't stand to back down from one and I am more apt to take Him up on His opportunities. Now, if I could just look at my Christmas treadmill that way....Don't tell John!