So much to catch up on during this blog! I guess it is best to begin with where I left off. Here is the recap…
Tuesday March 18th and Wednesday March 19th 2 more days and 2 more runs---each a little over 3 miles. Both of the runs took place around the neighborhood and nothing of interest to report---just your basic training runs.
I planned to run again on Friday March 21st, but I had to give in to my other more time relevant goal that afternoon. You see, I decided last year that this year David and I would camp out for tickets to the White House Easter Egg Roll. I grew up hearing about this event, but I have never actually known anyone who had participated in the roll. Well, that was until one of my dear friends took her son last year. She told me what a great time it was and that we should definitely look into doing it next year. Well, I guess as you know by now I am always up for a challenge.
David and I planned to run on Friday before finding our camping spot in the line. Well, we took a “drive-by” to check things out and much to our surprise the line was much longer than what we thought it was going to be based upon the “cheat sheet” of tips that we had been so graciously provided by our friends. We came to find out that due to Easter falling much earlier and therefore coinciding with Spring Break for many more children….well, you get the picture.
So, we had to scratch the run as panic set in (for me anyway) and grab our place in the line. We weren’t very prepared as far as food because we had planned to eat after our run and before getting in line. Fortunately, David was able to get food while I made friends in line and tried to gather as much information as possible regarding this challenge. He also returned with a tent because after all there was a good chance of rain and we were going to be there for at least 12 hours.
If you know me well, you know that I do not camp. I am just not the camping type. I like creature comforts too much I suppose. (a warm bed, running water, clean clothes, warm food, a bathroom---you know the basics) Strangely enough it didn’t really hit me that I was kind of being a “camper” until David returned with the tent. I was eternally grateful to him for the tent!! Who knew that I would love a tent so much, I guess it took sleeping outside when it is 30 degrees.
After all of this there was still a pretty good chance that we would not get tickets at all. I didn’t really mention that part to David! Well, finally around 3:30am they began to hand out vouchers. If you received a voucher then you were guaranteed tickets. Our voucher was # 1,015 and the last voucher handed out that night was # 1,500. I am sure glad we did not take that run!
So there you have it that was our race to the White House. So you may be wondering…how was the Easter Egg Roll? Was it worth it? Perhaps more importantly did you ever get in the run? The answers to those questions are terrific, yes, and YES!
The good news is that the girls and I had an amazing time at the Roll and it will truly be a lifetime memory. The better news is that David and I ran a 6.5 mile run on Easter Sunday afternoon all around downtown DC. The run was amazing and being able to run by the Washington Monument, Jefferson Memorial, and the Capitol, all in one run was truly incredible. The run also provided a bit of foreshadowing for the ultimate marathon goal being that it too will take place in DC.
The bad news is that David came down with the stomach flu late Sunday night and ended up missing the Easter Egg Roll!!! Oh well, I guess that just means that we will have to do it all again when Rebecca is old enough to remember it and David can join us! Even if we can’t make it to the Roll again, I will always fondly remember the two of us spending the night out under the stars together with a breathtaking view right outside our tent of a full moon illuminating the Washington Monument as well as the support he provided me during our run together in downtown DC---6.5 miles together. (my longest run ever)
Due to schedule issues I have not been able to get any runs in since Sunday.
I ran today (Thursday March 27th) and plan to run tomorrow and this weekend I will get in a long run in---7 miles is the goal. 7 miles!!!!!!!!!!! Hey, I am always up for a challenge and I am thinking 7 miles is a great one to tackle.
Quote Week 12:
Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Sounds like Fun!!! Good luck on the 7 miler. I can't wait to hear more! The weekend forcast for eugene is rain, rain, and more rain and I'm supposed to do 8 this weekend. YUCK! I hope your weather is better than this!
Sounds like a great weekend (minus the stomach flu) and you got to top it all off with some siding back on your house!! Woohoo!!
You go girl! I am so proud of you. Perhaps when I get back to the mainland we can do some weekend runs together in DC as a prep for the Marathon. That would be fun. So far out here, I wog alone!
Post a Comment