Monday, June 9, 2008

Hangin' Tough, Step by Step, and The Right Stuff

Welcome Back!
Thanks so much for "Hangin' Tough "with me during my break from my training. The month of May was so hectic for me that I made the decision to take some time off from training. I am glad to have started my training in January so that I was able to take the time off.

The Countdown Begins
I have now officially reached the 20 week mark prior to race day. That is a big deal in the life of a runner so I have come to find out through my research. Typical training programs are about 20 weeks long when one prepares for a marathon. I began my training in January with 42 weeks because I knew that (being a non-runner) that I would need that long to enter the world of running. During the first four months of my training I have learned so much and I am looking forward to many more lessons over the next 20 weeks.

I have added a countdown clock to the ole' blog and I have re-opened the polls for the survey. So, if you have not voted please take a moment and let me know what you think---remember be honest! I hope to add a picture very soon. When I signed up for the USMC marathon I also ordered an awesome training t-shirt. I think it will be a staple of my summer running attire. I am looking forward to sharing a picture of me in the shirt very soon.

Facing the Challenges
The weather change over the course of my training has been drastic. My first run back in January was on a very cold and windy day, I have also had many rain filled runs. However, after my early morning run today I am certain that the heat is by far the biggest weather related challenge that I will face. I have always hated the cold prior to training, but when running I gladly welcome the freezing temperatures as opposed to the humidity and extreme heat that I am facing in the summer and early fall.

I will meet the above obstacle through hydration (I need to buy a hydration system---picture multiple water bottles around one's waist) and through very early morning runs. I found this morning that 5:45am may be too late to beat the heat and so I will move my runs a bit earlier especially for the long runs each weekend. This is a HUGE change for me. I am NOT a morning person and exercise is something that I certainly have rarely deemed an activity worthy of waking up early to accomplish prior to my training for this event. However, as I see it in this situation I do not have a choice. This will require me to get into the bed quite early which is difficult for me. Discipline, discipline, discipline.

In addition to the oppressive summer heat I have another challenge ahead of me and that is the fact that we are moving in mid-July to Wilmington, North Carolina. I know that it will be very tough to fit in short training runs much less the longer ones when also trying to set-up a new home. I will have to stick to my training program and plan out my runs each week. No excuses.

Training Program
I have selected the Non-runner's Marathon Trainer as my program of choice. (the following is taken from the back of the book)

"It is based on a marathon class that was offered by the University of Northern Iowa. The class has been offered 5 times over 10 years (to all ages) and all but one student finished the marathon.That is approximately 200 students---all first time marathoners and many with absolutely no running background. "

"You don't have to love to run---you don't even have to like it---but you do have to realize that you are capable of more than you have ever thought possible. "

The book is divided into one chapter per week and each chapter includes three important sections:
1. mental aspects of marathon training
2. training program for the week
3. recollections and suggestions from people who have followed the training program

I will share with you the "take away" info that I find to be most helpful as I follow this journey over the next 20 weeks. It is my hope that I will inspire many of you to take on this same or some other challenge in your own life that perhaps you never felt was possible. Many of my friends have joined me in training for a marathon already...who will will be next?

Go ahead select a race and start training or at the very least go to a race in your area and cheer the runners on as they face their challenge. I promise the runners you expect to see will be there, but so will the non runner types like myself---all just running to meet a goal we never thought possible.

NKOTB
So, perhaps some of you noticed (probably not anyone) the New Kids on the Block song title references for the title of this blog. What do the New Kids have to do with my marathon training. Not that much except that they too are taking on a big challenge and that is a come back tour! If you didn't know me in the late 80's and early 1990's then you may not be privy to my nickname of New Kids Nanci. Yes, I was one of those die hard New Kids on the Block screaming girl fans. It is a bit embarrassing to admit, but hey I seriously loved the New Kids on the Block and when I found out that they were planning a come back tour....well needless to say I was ecstatic. So, I will have two things to look forward to in October. The marathon and just 3 weeks before that a New Kids concert almost 20 years after my first one!

So, Step by Step I will be Hangin' Tough as I find The Right Stuff to get through the marathon!! Okay, I know I am not quite right!


Let the countdown to October begin!

Quote for Week 20: Crystallize your goals. Make a plan for achieving them and set yourself a deadline. Then, with supreme confidence, determination and disregard for obstacles and other people's criticisms, carry out your plan.
-Paul Meyer

3 comments:

Liz Gill said...

Nanci - Here we go! It's for real this time! Yikes! You are so prepared, though. I've read only one book - Dawn Dais' - and you can't really call that a resource. :) Here we go! You forgot a song title that applies (well, unless you don't factor the words of the song into it) - "Don't Give Up on Me"!
;)

Lori said...

Uh, HELLO! I only LIVED for Joey Joe, saw NKOTB four times, just watched their new video online (a little creepy, I must say, that they are now near or in their 40s and still sort of Nsync-ing it, but hey...I'll be loving them forever!) I have ALL their songs on my IPOD, remember they started as Nanuk, and just found out today they will be at the Verizon Center on October 2!!!! Want to go together????? OMG...I saw the blog title and nearly wet my pants.

Oh, and you go on getting back into the running! I'm excited for you for that too :)

Anonymous said...

Way to go Nanci. Have you tried running with a camelback hydration pack? I love mine. It keeps your back cool as well. Keep on running.... Nnacy Morris