Tuesday, October 14, 2008

18 miles in 3 hours 55 mins. Did I mention it rained the entire time?

Well, dear readers I did it. No, not the marathon, but I did complete the very last long run of my training. 18 miles. I still pause after I tell anyone or even think about it because truthfully I have to admit that I am overwhelmed by the accomplishment. How did I get to this point? Just 10 months ago I could not run 1 mile and today I sit having completed an 18 mile run. I must also point out the weather because it certainly was a factor.

The sound of a driving rain woke me up even before my alarm clock went off on Saturday morning. I sat up in bed and tossed over the idea of postponing the run to Sunday. It seemed like a reasonable idea considering the weather, but there were two reasons that I just could not postpone the run. The first was something I learned just a few weeks into my training "________, but it doesn't matter." During the past 10 months I have filled that blank in with many excuses, but of course followed it with the but it doesn't matter and completed my scheduled run for the day.

Saturday morning really was no different and I knew I had to complete the run simply because the rain just did not matter. In addition, a real runner gave me some advice that I don't think I truly understood until Saturday morning----"Race day is race day. No matter what the variables, race day is race day." So, with that motto in my head I tried to get a bit more rest before I headed out for my 18 mile run.

It is hard to explain, but the run is kind of a blur. I know that I did it and I know that it wasn't easy, but I also know that it wasn't the struggle that I had thought it might be for me. I truly feel ready for the marathon. I am nervous and excited, but most of all I am ready.

I kept my pace slow and steady, but I really did not take that many walk breaks other than to eat my GU packet or take a bite of an energy bar as I hit the higher miles. I was of course exhausted at the end of the run, but I was more importantly certain that I could have kept going. Did I want to keep going....well, NO, but I could have if I was let's say running a marathon! I did not hit a wall this time which I attribute to better preparation both prior and during the run. I needed to fuel the machine a bit better and by doing so I was able to avoid the wall. The wind and the rain were tough. My shoes were so heavy because of all the water and I was drenched the entire run. Fortunately, I was not cold because it was 70 degrees that day. I must admit that if I had to choose between the heat and humidity or the rain and wind I would choose the latter without hesitation..

I now have a little less than 2 weeks before the marathon. The training runs will be light, short, and easy. I have been looking forward to this part of the training for 10 months! :-) I have one long run left...26.2 miles on October 26th in Washington, DC. That date and that distance continue to be my focus.

Marathon Quotations
-- A marathon doesn't start at the starting line but months earlier when you decide to train up for this event. The longtime commitment makes the marathon memorable.

-- No marathon is easy. It's supposed to be hard. If it weren't, then everyone would run it.

-- Don't count all the runners ahead of you and feel intimidated. Instead look back proudly at all those you're leading, especially those you can't see because they never reached the starting line.

-- Even the latest finishers aren't back-of-the-packers. They're the back of the front, still among the elite one-tenth of one percent of Americans who can and do finish a marathon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nanci- Congratulations!!!! Your HCA family is so proud of you and cheering you every step of the way. Love- Nancy Morris