Sunday, August 24, 2008

12 miles (that is 1.1 miles away from a half marathon)

Training runs have been tough to complete due to our new routine here in Wilmington, NC. I completed only one 4 mile training run last week. However, I did complete the 12 mile run I had scheduled for myself on Sunday morning. I want to let my readers know that 12 miles is quite a distance. I mean it is just 1.1 miles from being a half marathon!!!!!!!!



I urge each of you to clock out 12 miles or even 13.1 miles in your car next time and think about the distance. We take that distance for granted because we are always behind the wheel of a car. When being transported by your own two feet it is incredibly difficult to take that distance for granted. I have tried not to remind myself that even with such a distance completed I am not even half way to my ultimate goal.



The run itself went well with the only problem being the weather. I always start out early in the morning, but by the final hour of the run the sun is beating on me and the humidity is high. I know that my pace would be better if the humidity was not a factor. I am looking forward to brisk autumn mornings. I am afraid however that I won't be able to enjoy too many before the marathon in late October.

I continue to use all of the "tricks" that I am learning with each chapter that I read in my training book. The positive self talk is one I pull on quite a bit. I also have started to use visualization. I think about what it will feel like and look like when I cross the finish line. That one moment is incredibly motivating.

In addition, I bought some new shoes. Well, the shoes are the exact same as the ones I am retiring (Brooks, he Ariel, stability for overpronaters), but what a difference new shoes make in one's motivation. I also purchased a visor that has 26.2 embroidered on it. I have been hesitant to purchase anything with such marathon verbage because I am still a non-runner training for her first marathon. However, I think of the visor as a visual reminder of my goal. I keep it out on my dresser all of the time. It greets me when I wake up and it is there before me as I fall asleep. My goal is waiting for me.

Injuries? Well, I do have pain in the arch of my left foot which has been troubling me for about two weeks. I am pretty certain that this pain is due to the fact that my route requires me to run on pavement that is slanted for long portions rather than always being on a flat surface. I think that I have put stress on my foot. I will have to discover a new route for my long runs.

All in all I have to say that I feel ready to attempt the 13 mile long run I have scheduled for this weekend. I am nervous as I always am before a long run, but I am ready. The next post I will be able to say that I completed my own half marathon and that is half way to reaching my goal.

Quote for week 9:
Life's greatest accomplishments are those that at first seem impossible.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Look at you go...seriously, there are better ways to "go green" than eliminate the need for a car :)