Sunday, August 10, 2008

Week 12 --- 8.8 Miles

WEEK 12
The goal for week 12 was to complete the three training runs scheduled and to run the 8 mile long run at the end of the week. We were on the road yet again because we needed to return to MD for the settlement meeting and because we had tickets (purchased in February prior to knowing the date of our move) to The Lion King performance.

My parents have a treadmill so getting two of the training runs completed really was not that much of a problem at all. I have found that treadmill running forces me to run faster than when I am running outside. However, the huge negative is that it can be insanely boring when one is running longer distances. I decided to run the third training run outside, but with the HILLS at every turn, it proved to be only a 2.5 mile run rather than the full 3 miles I had scheduled. The next day would bring the 8 mile long run and my legs were sore already!

David was able to join me for the 8 mile run, which is probably a good thing because I have no sense of direction and I planned to run in downtown Washington DC. It was such a beautiful setting, a fabulous evening--- low humidity, and a nice breeze. We were grateful for the great running conditions. It was also so nice to be able to enjoy the sights one more time. During the time we have lived in MD we have come to enjoy spending time in the DC area as well. Not to mention that having grown up right outside of DC I will always feel at home in Washington.

In addition, I was reminded that in just 2.5 months I will return to the nation's capital to run the marathon. The great weather, beautiful monuments, and superb running company combined to provide all the motivation I needed to finish the 8 miles. (We found out later that it was actually 8.8 miles by plugging in our route on google pedometer.) Who knew! The week ended with taking Grace Anne to see The Lion King. I have to admit that as I sat in my chair I was a bit sore and therefore a bit uncomfortable, but I was also amazed. The lyrics of the song The Circle of Life continued to play in my head long after the performance. I of course had heard the song many times before, but the words seem to have become even more meaningful now. My path is certainly unwinding...

The Circle of Life
From the day we arrive on the planet
And blinking, step into the sun
There's more to see than can ever be seen
More to do than can ever be done
There's far too much to take in here
More to find than can ever be found
But the sun rolling high
Through the sapphire sky
Keeps great and small on the endless round

It's the Circle of Life
And it moves us all
Through despair and hope
Through faith and love
Till we find our place
On the path unwinding
In the Circle
The Circle of Life

It's the Circle of Life
And it moves us all
Through despair and hope
Through faith and love
Till we find our place
On the path unwinding
In the Circle
The Circle of Life

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nanci - you are doing so well keeping up with runs and blogging! I've not blogged in ages and I really need to write it all down. I'm SO glad your 8 miler went well! It's so nice to feel like you're actually increasing your ability!

Lori said...

Was Lion King the penance for me stealing the New Kids ticket? She told me, as we were watching their Right Stuff video on the computer, "I was going to go see them with my mom, but then you called..."

I feel the flames of hell on my feet for taking her ticket, but not quite hot enough to give it up!!