Monday, August 11, 2008

Week 11---The Ten Miler (Sunday August 10th--no pun intended!)

This past Sunday I entered the world of the double digits! I ran ten miles. Okay, so I really walked and ran the ten miles, but none the less it was completed. I followed the Galloway method and decided to run for 10 mins and then walk for 2 minutes. I believe this helped me to be able to finish this distance.



The week of training was not one of my best to say the least. I was able to get in only one training run of 4 miles and then I had to face the 10 mile long run. I was very nervous the night before and did not get much sleep. My route took place down by the beach town of Wrightsville Beach. It is a beautiful setting and I enjoyed the salty sea air as well as the summer sights.



The night before I reviewed my hydration instructions that were very clearly laid out in my training book. Hydration, hydration, hydration...it is the key to success. Up to this point I have only had water, but the authors suggessted that at this point a drink such as Gatorade was a must when running such a long distance. I heeded their advice and now looking back am certain I would have never have finished without the boost. I have not yet enjoyed the "goo" that many of my fellow runners squirt into their mouths during long runs. I know my time will come, but for now I am hoping that Gatorade will do the trick.



The run started out quite well---good pace, good music, good route. When I hit 3 miles I scared myself by thinking about how many more miles I needed to complete that day. Ipushed on by thinking "but it doesn't matter." (one of my mental tricks taught in my training book) However, after about the 5th mile I needed something more than that to encourage me to keep going.



The authors of my training guide also encourage visualization and positive self talk. I know that both of these techniques sound somewhat silly, but you were not in my running shoes! So, I decideed that I would try these techniques out.



First, let me describe the visualization technique. The runner must create a "videotape" of him/herself finishing the marathon. This should include as many details and descriptions of the senses as possible. (who is there, what do you have on, what do you see and hear, what do you feel as you finish etc...) The mental videotape must then be "played" when needed during your training or long runs. The idea is to visualize yourself obtaining your goal and you will. My videotape played numerous times during the last 5 miles of the run.



The second mental technique is the positive self-talk paragraph. This is a paragraph that the runner writes down and then memorizes. He or she should repeat this paragraph during runs, but also at other times during the day. You must think of yourself as a marathoner with total confidence that you will finish. Fo example a paragraph might include "My legs are strong. I am a marathoner. I love to run." The runner then repeats this over and over and over and over as he or she is running. I won't reveal my paragraph to my readers just yet, but I will say that it is a fabulous technique.



Truthfully, this run was long and tough. (I say that knowing that it isn't even close to the mileage I am expected to complete.) I used the above techniques to help get me through, but I also found a few signs of extra encouragement along the way.



Around the 6.5 mile mark I was beginning to feel particulary exhausted and somewhat discouraged because I still had so far to go. Just at that moment a minivan drove by and a huge magnet was on the back with the bold black numbers 26.2 and I literally saw my goal before my eyes. I was encouraged and motivated and so I pushed forward.



By the 8 mile mark I was tired and so HOT. The temperature by that time was well over 80 degrees and the humidity was high as well. I had some water left, but it was quite warm and I started thinking about the ice cold water that I would drink once I was finished. Just as I was thinking that thought to myself I saw a man handing out fliers in front of a church along with a sign that said FREE ice cold water. As I approached him he held the water bottle out to me and said "May God bless you." I returned the words to him and drank the ice cold water down. That was divine intervention at its best if you ask me! I completed the 10 miles in 2.5 hours, but I think that if the temperature and humidity had been lower lower I could have finished it in closer to two hours. For now, I am grateful to have another week behind me and to be able to say I am a double digit non-runner.

Goals for next week--just 10 weeks before the big day!
Day one: 4 miles
Day Two: 5 miles
Day Three: 4 miles
Day Four: 11 miles

Quote for Week 10: "You have a choice. You can throw in the towel, or you can use it to wipe the sweat off of your face."

1 comment:

Lori said...

So you have a "Maryland" marker :)

You basically ran/walked/trekked from our neighborhood to Leondardtown.


You rock. Enough said.