Sunday, January 20, 2008

Disney Days

Disney Days
(This post was written on Monday January 14, 2008)

We arrived in the world that is Disney on Friday and have been enjoying magical days ever since. Everything has gone according to plan (my schedule) including my marathon training. Let me bring you up to date.

I was up and at ‘em bright and early the day we left. I was on my parents’ treadmill at 5:00am. Yes, you read that correctly. I got in a run the morning we departed long before the sun was in the sky! I must say I even impressed myself, but I really wanted to start out the vacation on the right foot. (pun intended) David even commented, “Who are you and what have you done with my wife.” You see, I am NOT a morning person and rarely am I ever up before the sun rises. I was not able to get in a run on Saturday or Sunday, but did get one in today.

Today was my first run with something other than my ipod. David joined me and I have to say as much as I normally love to have company when doing just about anything…running may be something I need to do by myself. Let me explain….

David is a runner. I am pretending to be a runner. David can run long distances. I am pretending that I can run long distances. David likes to “chat” while running. I like to gasp for air while I belt out the songs blaring into my ears. David is able to think of things to say while running. I cannot stop thinking about when I will be able to stop running. In addition, because I struggle to maintain oxygen in my lungs while running it becomes nearly impossible to hold a conversation. We will not mention the problem of keeping a particular pace when running with someone who is a runner. Let’s just say I had been feeling good about my pace and then I ran alongside a runner. It wasn’t that great for the ole’ self esteem. We finished the run and in the end I was glad we got up early to do it.

Oh, and guess what just happened to be taking place here this weekend? That is right, the annual half and full Walt Disney World marathons. I do not think there could be a clearer sign that this is exactly what I am meant to do this year. We were able to cheer on the runners for a bit and as I watched, I was so taken by their courage. There were some obvious athletes, but so many were just normal looking people trying very hard to achieve a goal they set for themselves. I am so glad that I was there to share that moment in time with them.


Quote for Week Two:
All of our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
-Walt Disney

No comments: