Sunday, January 6, 2008

Hittin' the Pavement

Okay, so it has been a few days since I last blogged. Some of you may be wondering..."Did she give up already?" That would be a very reasonable thought for one to have conjured up at this point. However, I am pleased to let you know that your thought is unfounded and that I am well on my way to being a runner of a marathon. (or wogger--- jogger/runner/walker...details, details)

I also have been meaning to let you know that my friend Lizzie (the one who helped convince me that I can do this) also has her very own blog! Please visit it and give her support as well.
http://www.lizinthelongrun.blogspot.com/

So, let me bring you up to date...

January 3rd ---Rest Day! (training? day two)
I know, I know, why did I take a day of rest after only one day of training. Well, because that is what the all-knowing schedule had planned for me. You will learn during this journey that I thrive when following a schedule and adore checking things of a list. So, why would I deviate from a schedule that listed a Rest Day so soon? Seriously, what would you have done?

January 4th --- back to training (training day three)
My Stats
35 mins elliptical trainer
2.2 miles
320 calories

A minor improvement from training day number one's stats, but I think we all should take pride in even the smallest of accomplishments in life. I know that I will in this case. I added some new songs to my ipod and I think this helped me to work a bit harder. Who can resist Hit me with Your Best Shot or Eye of the Tiger. I belt those tunes out and keep my legs ellipticalling. I find the louder I sing the harder I work--to continue breathing that is!
Another day of training checked off the schedule. (whew!)
My only question is this: Will people stare at me when I switch to running outside tomorrow as I sing along out loud to my tunes on my ipod? Maybe they will just stare at me because I am running.

January 5th --- Hitting the Pavement (training day four)
This was the day that you have been waiting for ladies and gentlemen. I laced up my Nikes and took my training outside. Oh yes, the gear...many of you have asked me about my gear and workout accessories. Who knew that runners need so many items?

What I have:
  • Shoes (the aforementioned Nikes---had a new pair just by chance, but will get an even better pair week 8---a gift to myself)
  • Socks (again, Nike running socks)
  • Running outfits ---this includes pants, sports bra, shirts, thin fleece running jacket and hopefully soon some running gloves as my hands nearly fell off yesterday
  • Specifically the pants are Nike (do you see a theme here and no I am not being endorsed)--Nike Dri-Fit Black Workout Pant. These pants were on Oprah's Favorite Things Show in 2003. Hey, she ran the marathon! I am saving the Under Armour spandex pants for a little bit later in the training. I would not want to terrify my neighbors.
  • Watch (it can even control my ipod--gift from my dear husband for Christmas)
  • ipod tunes (can't have an ipod without tunes)
  • a fleece ear cover and neck warmer thing --very comfy


What I will need to be true runner:
  • waist multiple water bottle holder (this will surely complete my transformation into a runner)
  • body glide (or maybe it would be with the use of this)
  • runner's hat (rockin' the hat has holes in it)
  • running outfits (spandex shorts for warmer months---I should look very runner like in those)
  • GU energy gel packets (food?)
  • even better more comfy running socks (for $15 bucks a pair I better take off like a jet)
  • more shoes (the most important part of any runner's attire)

I will try and include a picture on the blog so that you can see me in my runner's costume. For now, back to my 1st day outside on the open road.--around my neighborhood. I took the very first steps knowing that they were the first of hundreds if not thousands that I intend to take before the marathon next October. How did I feel? I was excited, full of energy, and COLD. It was only 30 degrees yesterday morning when I took to the pavement and I must say that I have never ever worked out in the cold before. Let's just say that gloves would have been a good idea.

I started out at a pretty good clip pressed my "go" button on my watch and off I went down the road. Things were going along very well. I had tracked out a 3 mile route and I was ready to take on the challenge. I knew that there would be a lot of walking combined with my jogging, but that was to be expected. I was just fine until...I decided to check my watch.

I am not sure why I did this, but I did. My heart sunk and my internal voice screamed! The numbers on my watch read 5:23!!! Are you serious? I have only been out here for 5 mins? Next, all of my thoughts started to race. How am I ever going to be able to do this marathon thing? I am crazy! You mean I have to do this running like motion for most likely 4-5 HOURS on the day of the race? What was I thinking?

All the while, I kept running (slow jogging) and tunes kept blaring into my ears. Finally, right when the thought I can't do this...came into my head--- it was fortunately quickly followed by the following words sung by Sugarland and of course yours truly:

I ain't settlin' for just getting by. I've had enough so so for the rest of my life. Tired of shooting too low, so raise the bar high. Just enough ain't enough this time. I ain't settlin' for anything less than everything.

That was the inspiration I needed and off I went on the rest of my route. I did have to walk a bunch of times, but I finished the route. I ain't settlin'.

My Stats: 40mins, 3 miles, ? calories

Quote for Week One: Be the change in the world you want to see.

No comments: