Wow, what a difference no humidity and a cool fall breeze can make during a run. I actually enjoyed myself during my long run yesterday. I can't say that I wanted to go another 13 miles when I was finished, but it certainly was not the horrible experience I had been dreading. I took some walk breaks this time, but not at my usual intervals of 10 and 2. (run for 10 walk for 2) I was shocked that I was able to keep running and running and running.
I have my pre-long run routine down to a science now. Is start by hydrating constantly the day and night before the run. I also try and get a few extra carbs in for a few days before the long run. I drink my smoothie the morning of the run and it consists of the following:
1 cup milk
1/2 large banana
1 packet whey protein powder (vanilla or chocolate flavored)
a handful of frozen berries
I do not eat anything else, but I do drink Gatorade or water throughout the run. (about every 10 mins) I have also recently tried Luna Moons. (think gummie bears with an energy boost) Once I hit the higher miles I start popping the Luna Moons. I prefer to let them dissolve slowly so that I get a constant "flow" of energy. I have to thank my friend Lizzie for all of the above as I had no idea that so much planning was necessary! It truly works though and I will not steer from it on race day.
It is truly hard for me to believe that I was able to run my own personal half marathon plus one mile. I have a new toy that has helped to make running a bit more fun. I have the Nike Plus for my ipod. It keeps track of my miles, time, and pace for me. I adore it! Just to hear the voice come through my head phones announcing my most current accomplishment is more motivating than I thought possible.
A huge unexpected spark of motivation yesterday was the triathlon that was going on during my long run. It was inspiring to watch the portion of the race that I could see while I was running, but even more incredible...the crowds of people. (the family members and friends that gathered to support their loved one in pursuit of his or her goal) Oh, and I can't forget the loud roar of cheering and the amazing signs! All of this outpouring of support for the competitors and it didn't matter if they were the first to finish or the last.
It reminded me of the marathon I witnessed way back in January in Disney World. I can remember being in awe of those runners in Orlando and wondering if I truly could accomplish my goal. (after all at that point I could barely run 3 miles) However, yesterday I was able to glean inspiration and renew my drive towards my goal.
Next Saturday---16 miles. Only two long runs left and then 3 weeks until the marathon. The date is approaching and I am doing everything I can to get ready.
Quote for Week 4:
Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but by how we react to what happens, not by what life brings to us, but by the attitude we bring to life. A positive attitude causes a chain reaction of positive thoughts, events, and outcomes. It is a catalyst, a spark that creates extraordinary results.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I can't believe it is that close!! I can TOTALLY believe what you are running--the determination alone was enough to convince me you'd get there!!
Where has time gone?
Post a Comment