Some people get paid to run. We call them athletes. Some people earn Olympic medals when they run. We call them Olympians. Some people run for exercise. We call them healthy. All of that being said, what exactly do you call someone who pays someone else for the time to run? I call her--ME!
Yes, it is true that this weekend I will take my sacrifice or desperation as the case may be for my training to a new level. I am going to pay a babysitter to take care of my girls while I complete my 14 mile long run. She will arrive bright and early in the morning because it still is quite warm down here in NC.
This unfortunately will not be the only long run that I will have to fork over $ for the privilege to complete. I have two more long runs scheduled after Saturday. I did not complete the long run last weekend as I had scheduled because David had to work all weekend unexpectedly and this looks to be the trend for a bit. So, being that he will not be available on the weekends for a while I had to find a good babysitter and quickly.
I cannot say that I am looking forward to the 14 mile run this Saturday any more than I am looking forward to having to pay $10 per hour for the opportunity to run. Surely, the sacrifice of time, energy, muscle pain, and now financial resources will all be worth it when I cross that finish line...right??
Truthfully, I know that it will be and I know that this journey of what will end up taking 10 months will prove to be one of my life's greatest accomplishments. It all started with a goal.
Three more long runs and then I have about 3 weeks to ramp down and complete basic training runs. October 26th, October 26th, October 26th...that date, my goal, 5 weeks to go.
Quote for Week 5:
"In running, it doesn't matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last. You can say, 'I have finished.' There is a lot of satisfaction in that."
-Fred Lebow, New York City Marathon co-founder
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment