Saturday, September 27, 2008

16 miles --- The Wall

Well, this long run was a struggle and quite tough. The temperature outside and the high humidity seem to make all the difference between a good run and one that I wish was over the moment I take my first stride. My pace was pretty good for the first half or so of the run, but the second half was my most difficult run to date.


I think for the first time during my training I hit "the wall" of which I have read so much about in my training books. I think it was around mile 13-14 and I just started to feel this overwhelming feeling of defeat and all I wanted to do was to sit down and cry. I mean really cry. My feet ached, my legs felt heavy, my back was sore, and I was drenched in sweat. My energy level was low and I just didn't want to finish the run. I believe I did indeed meet "the wall".


I started to pull out all the mental training tricks that I have learned over the past 9 months. I used visualization and tried to focus on the feeling of accomplishment I would have once I completed the run. I envisioned myself finishing not only this training run, but also the marathon. I searched my ipod for a more motivating song. I practiced my positive thinking paragraph and kept repeating it over and over in my head.


" I am a marathoner. Each run makes me stronger. I will finish. I love to run. I am strong. I never get tired. I'm not going to give up. I'm not going to stop. I will finish. I can do this. I'm going to make it. I am a marathoner."


I started to block out everything around me and kept repeating different parts of the above paragraph. I also remembered something I read in my training book just last week..."trying easier". Trying easier means keeping this whole training experience in perspective. Running the marathon and training for it is something I have chosen to do and not something I have to do. It has become something I WANT to accomplish.



The authors firmly believe that by reminding oneself that this is a choice rather than something you must do that a runner is more likely to succeed. Trying easier takes the pressure off as opposed to trying harder and thus making the goal so important that the runner feels anxious and stressed about accomplishing the goal. So, I tried easier during the last 2-3 miles and as the book has stressed over and over--- create the reality you wish. Make the choice to continue on even when fatigued and you will accomplish your goal. Decide to knock down the wall.


I kept pushing through the wall and something very unexpected and motivational happened to me. I was in the middle of tackling the wall and truly debating on whether or not to give up when all of a sudden a fellow runner (a true runner in incredible shape) started waving and smiling at me as we approached each other. I did not know what to think, but she yelled out when she was a bit closer...


"How far are you going today?"

"16." I said and returned her smile.

"That is awesome! Keep going."


After our brief conversation I realized that she must have read my t-shirt which clearly states that I am in training for the USMC marathon. I think that at that moment she could see the struggle I was having and wanted to encourage me to push through the wall. It worked and I finished the run. Fortunately, the day of the marathon there will be crowds of people to cheer all of the runners on to the finish!



I felt "the wall" most today, but when I look back and think about my training I have hit these so called walls over and over and pushed each one down. I am coming to understand the importance of the training not so much for the physical aspect, (that was a given form the very beginning) but now more for the mental preparedness that each long run provides. If I meet a wall on race day I will remember what I have done previously to push through and persevere to success.

Training for a marathon is no easy task. I am exhausted both physically and mentally, but I remind myself that is to be expected. I have an 18 mile run scheduled for next Saturday. I am tossing around the idea of doing a 20 miler the following weekend. Eighteen miles is the key distance from all that I have read. If you can run 18 you will finish the marathon. I am depending on that to be the case. 4 weeks, 4 weeks, 4 weeks. 26.2, 26.2, 26.2. I want the training to be over, but more than that I want to be able to truly say 'I am a marathoner'.

Quote for Week 4: Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary. (Isaiah 40:30-31)

No comments: